Thursday, July 19, 2007

Michael Vick & Nike

Well, I got the same canned response as everyone else to my Nike email:

Response (Caryn) - 07/19/2007 11:55 AM
Thank you for contacting us regarding Michael Vick.

Nike is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent. We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen, therefore, we have not terminated our relationship. We have however made the decision to suspend the release of the Zoom Vick V and related marketing communications. Nike will continue to monitor the situation closely and have no further comment at this time.

We appreciate that you took the time to contact us and your feedback will be passed along to the proper department.

Sincerely,

Nike
At first I was a little pissed, but then I came to a realization. Nike is likely FREAKING out. I mean if I know 10 people who have emailed Nike I can't imagine how many people are really contacting them right now. We can't all accept personal responses, even though it's what we think we deserve.

And you know, they ARE taking steps by deciding to suspend the release of the Zoom Vick V shoe. I'm in Marketing and I know this is a huge move on their part, that is going to cost them alot of money. It's the right thing to do. And by saying they aren't terminating their relationship, well they're giving him the benefit of the doubt (even though they know he is a disgusting asshat) until he is proven guilty.

So now I'm wondering, was I too harsh in my plea to Boycott Nike? Are they taking the appropriate, responsible steps? Hmmm....I'm going to keep on this.

No comments: