Thursday, September 13, 2007

Papi for President

Thanks to Mr. David 'Papi' Ortiz the magic number is now:

(photo courtesy of dug_da_bug)

I am lucky enough to say I was there last night to witness Papi drive in all 5 runs of the win over Tampa Bay. OK, so maybe I was in line getting Fried Dough when he hit his first one out of the park, but believe you me....I was there for the walk-off in all of it's glory.

Being part of an Ortiz walk-off game (this is my second one!) is a feeling of elation that is incredibly hard to describe. I'm not even going to try except to say it is one of the best feelings in the world, and only if you're a true Sox fan will you understand how that's possible.

I have so many thoughts/feelings on this game...I think I'm just going to do a list because otherwise I'm sure to ramble on for waaaayyyy too long, heck I'll probably ramble anyway.
  • Our starting pitching is scaring the ever-loving bejesus out of me. Between Dice, Wake and Lester I want to crawl in a hole and die. I have confidence Wake will come around (if he's being honest about there being no lingering injury) - Lester is bound to have a bad game here and there but Dice....I'm not feeling it.
    • I'm CERTAINLY not feeling him start the game on Friday against the Yankees. We NEED to win that first game. NEED TO. Not for the purpose of the standings, but for the sanity of RSN
  • JD Drew can suck lemons and other things that I'm not going to mention here. I was trying to give the dude the benefit of the doubt. He had some good hits (not clutch, but still good) on Tuesday night and last night he started with a single, then got a double, then drew a walk (I can't remember what he did after that). But that play in right field where he dropped the ball...(I'm having a hard time placing blame on Pedroia) was inexcusable. You don't need me to go on and on about his lack of passion - but he doesn't have any. I don't give a shit that he doesn't "show emotion" like the rest of the team. He has no spark, nothing. He's just there going through the motions. Show me some F'N emotion and I might try and like you again and might try and forgive your short comings. Until that point, you are dead to me Drew.
  • It was hard for me to fully respect what Yo-yo Tavarez pulled off last night until after the game. Great job Julian (why did they take him out anyway? anyone?)....FANTASTIC job to our bull pen. Cinco Ocho, congrats on your first win.
  • Speaking of Papelbon....this is another thing that is hard to explain. When he came out pitched a great 9th....the fans were on their feet cheering like we had won the game. We were still behind by a run, but the energy in the park was electric. It was amazing.
  • Holy Okajima mania....have ya'll heard his 'coming out' song (hmmm...what is the appropriate term for that song?) - The entire lyrics were "O-K-A-J-I-M-A okajima! oki doke!" or something similar. I thought it was a joke at first, but ya know what? It's pretty catchy and pumped me up...I think it will be there to stay for a while at Fenway. I did some research this morning and came up with this quote by my soon-to-be-favorite-if-he-stays-at-Fenway Mike Lowell, ""It's awesome," said Lowell. "Oh my God, it's the best. You have to hear it. We're going to play it at Fenway when we come home. It's outstanding. It's unbelievable."
  • Has anyone heard about Mike Lowell? Was it food poisoning? Is he feeling better?
Told ya I was going to ramble....

No comments: