Friday, September 14, 2007

I Love You, Man

Last night I was reading Papi's Book (yes, I'm still plugging my way through it. It's not exactly Best Seller List material, but an entertaining read nonetheless.) Anyway, I'm read the part about the 2003 ALCS series and the beginning of 2004 and it struck me just how much I loved every guy on the team. Every one, even greasy Mark Bellhorn.

So of course my mind starts wandering to our 2007 Red Sox and I realize I don't feel the same love for all of our players and got a little sad. It's obvious who some of those players are (ahem Lugo and Drew).

Don't get me wrong, my heart has grown 10 sizes too big thanks to the likes of Mike Lowell, Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia (among others), but it's not a huge team lovefest like it has been in the past.

Then this morning I come across this article where Varitek asks RSN to please not Boo Drew - it kind of changed something inside of me. I'll quote a couple of paragraphs below...but let me know what you think. Should we follow the advice of O' Capatin my Captain Tek? Probably....


"I wish the fans understood how much power they have," said Varitek. "They can help J.D. Drew. They really can."
The irony, said Varitek, is that by booing Drew, who has been mired in a season-long slump, the Red Sox chances of winning drops.....

.....
"But you look at his swing. It's a great swing," said Varitek. "And he's a good outfielder. He has good speed. He's a good player. Is he having the year a lot of people hoped? No. But he can still help us. In fact, I really believe we are going to need him."

That's where the fans come in, said Varitek, sitting in an office at Jaffarian's.

"Why not give him a standing ovation when he comes to plate," said Varitek. "They did it for Julio Lugo and it helped. It really did. The energy the fans give you can carry a team. Trust me, I know. I can feel it. But the fans can also make you want to get under a rock."

1 comment:

Luna said...

I was already kind of opposed to the booing--I don't like to boo guys on my team; I'm rooting for them to succeed, after all--and Tek just clinched that for me. It was really buoying when people were cheering for Lugo to break out of his appalling slump; we should be trying to give Drew the same boost.