Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Hot Stove Burning Hotter

To quote the Dave Matthews Band "So much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say"

I literally could have created a separate blog posting for each one of the following items, but it wasn't meant to be today.

Let's start with a little something I like to call The Demise of the Evil Empire


(photo courtesy of Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

Joe Torre, is officially a memeber of the LA Dodgers. I've always liked Torre and am happy to say I like him a WHOLE lot more when he's not wearing pinstripes. He's being paid $14 million for three seasons, which keeps him as the highest paid manager in MLB. It's not only Torre who left the Evil Empire for the Dodgers but also former Yankee coaches Don Mattingly and Larry Bowa.

In other Stankee news, Andy Pettitte declined his $16 million option to pitch for the next season. It would have been better if he said it was because he was taking his arm elsewhere, but at 34 years old he has said he's not even sure if he's returing to baseball at all. He has said before if he pitches again it will be for the Yankees and nobody else, but I also seem to remember a certain Judas Damon saying he'd never go to the Yankees. Basically, take his words for what they're worth right now.

So far we know Bobby Abreau will be returing to the Yanks - it will be interesting to see where everyone ends up. I'm most anticipating the news about Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera and Johnny Damon. Oh - right - and that AFraud guy too, as long as it's not in Boston!

Now onto the Good Guys!

It's been widely publicized already today, but Curt Schilling and the Red Sox did reach a one year agreement for the old bloody sock to stay with the Sox and finish his career here in Boston. According to Schilling's blog:

The deal looks like this.
$8 million in guaranteed base salary
$2 million in bonuses for 6 seperate weigh ins.
I inserted the weigh in clause in the 2nd round of offers, counter offers. Given the mistakes I made last winter and into Spring Training I needed to show them I recognized that, and understood the importance of it. Being overweight and out of shape are two different things. I also was completely broad sided by the fact that your body doesn’t act/react the same way as you get older. Even after being told that for the first 39 years of my life. Now I can’t get on Dougie anymore, which sucks, and I am sure the clause will add 15-100 more jokes to Tito’s Schilling joke
book.
$3 million in IP incentives based on IP totals.
$1 million for receiving a Cy Young vote, any vote

Not bad old man, not bad at all. I also have to point out how much I love the fact Schill signed off his post with the SIGN MIKE LOWELL!!!!! chant!

The next piece of excellent news is that Kevin Youkilis became a first-time Gold Glove winner today. He definitely deserves it because during the regular season he made no errors in 1,080 chances and had 990 putouts. CONGRATS YOOOOOOUUUUUUKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

And finally, Papi had his arthroscopic knee surgery today. RSN, lets wish him well for a speedy and successful recovery!

No comments: