Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Burying the Hatchet

What do the following people have in common?

  • Johnny Damon
  • Ramiro Mendoza
  • Eric Hinske
  • Tony Cloninger
  • Dale Sveum
  • Gary Tuck
According to the New York Post they are the only people who have World Series rings from both the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees. Surprising, right? You'd think there would be some more, ummmm....iconic players/coaches on that list. But considering history...this is it.

I don't really have much to say about any of those men, with the exception of Johnny Demon Damon. I have to (wo)man up and admit it might be time to bury the hatchet with him.

There is no surprise that as a member of RSN I've had had hard feelings towards the self-proclaimed idiot. I've lashed out on my blog more than once about him. I've called him every name in the book, I've sat down during his announcements at Fenway Park (I would like to point out I never booed the man), I've laughed at the thought of him potentially being unemployed this season (until the Tigers stepped up)....but I've also loved him.

I loved him when he was a member of the 2002, 2003 and beloved 2004 Red Sox. He made me cry when he was carried off of the field after colliding with Damian Jackson in the outfield. He had me screaming out "What Would Johnny Damon Do?!" more than once. He hit a grand-slam against the Yankees in the game 7 2004 ALCS, which was just as exciting, if not more exciting, than winning the World Series in my eyes. He rode the duck boats through the streets of Boston, where I cheered at the top of my lungs out of sheer joy and excitement.

Johnny was my homeboy.

That is, until he went to the Yankees in 2005.

It honestly and truly felt like a betrayal to me. There is no other way to describe it. I was hurt. Johnny let ME down personally.

But here is the thing. I have had no hard feelings towards any other member of the 2004 Red Sox who are no longer with the team...except maybe a few for Manny, but that's just because he was "being Manny." I don't have hard feelings for Eric Hinske, who is up there on that same list with Damon. In short, I was being a jerk.

It's time for me to bury the hatchet on my hatred of Johnny Damon. I will cheer on May 14th (albeit while watching my television) when he steps up to bat against the Red Sox. I will try and get tickets to the July 30th game so I can cheer him in person, at Fenway Park. I would like to finally give him that standing ovation he so much deserves.

I just hope he'll accept my cheers and congratulations after all these years.

1 comment:

Briguy15 said...

One thing about Johnny that you didn't mention, is that when he leaves town, he bashes his previous club. Although while being the consumate professional and veteran any club would like to have......going out of town he shows no love......lets see the reaction from those bleacher creatures, and his rebuttal.