Friday, January 26, 2007

Thank You Trot!

Friday, January 19, 2007

The day I have been dreading has finally come. Trot Nixon has signed with the Cleveland Indians. He’s not coming back to Boston (as a Red Sox).


(photo courtesy of RedSoxChick)

I can’t say I’m surprised he signed with the Indians. I also can’t say it wasn’t a good move for the Sox, as Nixon was oft injured. However our alternative, J.D. Drew, isn’t a sure bet either.

Although announcing he agreed to a 5 year/$70 million deal with the Red Sox in the beginning of December, Drew’s deal still isn’t finalized because of an injured right shoulder. So we’re over-paying a right fielder who has a high risk for injury and letting go a guy who has spent his entire career in Boston, is the original Boston Dirt dog and plays harder than anyone (when he’s healthy)?

I don’t know. I don’t have huge confidence in an outfield of Drew, Wily Mo and Manny (when he decides it’s ok to be a ball player).

Anyway, this post isn’t meant to debate the details of what went down. It’s to say “goodbye” to the guy whose helmet is covered in pine tar, face is streaked in eye black and pants are stained with grass.

My cousin and I were lucky enough to be at the Sox vs Orioles game on October 1, 2006. It was the Sox last game of the season. Even though there was a 3 hour rain delay and the weather remained miserable I am so happy I was there. I was able to witness Trot’s last at bat in a Red Sox uniform. I also captured this short video:

Sure it’s sideways, unstable and a little too short but cut me some slack. I actually thought I was taking a picture! What I got was a great memory and a little piece of history.

Soxy Lady will miss you, Christopher Trotman Nixon.

Yes, I am a sap.

No comments: