Saturday, March 24, 2007

I'm baaaccckkkk

Miss me?

I've been on a somewhat unplanned, extended vacation - but I'm here now. Ready to talk Sox. I've been reading up on the news and on my friends blogs so I don't feel too out of the loop. There are a few things I need to mention as I get back into the blogesphere.

Tek (photo courtesy of www.jason-varitek.com)
Finally his no-hit streak is over! I know it's only Spring Training, but it was a little disconcerting that he was 0-17. He came out of it with a "bang" - a solo homer in the 5th against Erik Bedard and the Orioles.

I have always stated that Tek's value matters more behind the plate than they do at the plate. That isn't to say that going 0-17 is ok. I really feel the ball club suffered when he was out with his injury. I'm also confident that he can make a "comeback" this year....regardless of what the recent numbers are saying. However, I'm starting to hear rumblings that Tek isn't really calling the games like I thought he was. Is it true that Tito and the front office are making most of the calls? Anyone have information on this matter. I'm definitely interested in hearing more.

Papelbon
Our Golden Boy Closer is back. I actually got the news from Schillings blog (more on that in a minute) and I had to say there was a big sigh of relief. Realistically though, is this the best thing? I mean they are saying his shoulder is fine. How much of that do we believe? Did this move come out of desperation? Lets face it there weren't many options and we're getting might close to opening day. This news does, however, change my opinion a little bit on wanting to get Roger back. I think if Tavarez becomes our 5th starter he'll do an OK job, but our pitching rotation has definitely been weakened. I think this is the only situation where I'll be happy if Roger comes back to the Sox, to put us back as the strongest pitching team out there (and if we aren't the strongest with this staff, and there are no injuries, does the blame fall on Tek? Or whoever is making the pitch calls?!?!)


38 Pitches
What do ya'll think of Curt's blog? I, for one, have some mixed reactions to it. On the one hand, I think it's really freaking cool that he's taking the time to do this. I work in the Marketing Industry and Social Media is the "wave of the future" - Curt is doing a great job getting his name and his company out there. He's gathering interest from current baseball fans and maybe making some new fans out of video-gamers.

I like the inside thoughts, but he's never going to go "there" which is where I want him to go. I'm most interested in learning what life is like in the clubhouse and he's clearly stated he won't talk about that at all. I see his point, but I still wish he would dish a little.

On the other hand, I really don't give a cr@p about the gaming industry and tend to skip over the parts of his posts where he talks about it. When he's talking about baseball he holds my interest at first, but then to be honest my eyes start to gloss over. He's giving really in-depth information, which is great...but man he talks a lot. That shouldn't be a surprise, right?

I'm looking forward to see how much publicity he generates for charities through the blog. I love how he gave a plug to the little boy with
Ewing’s Sarcoma who is the Cardinals fan (http://www.peterdespain.com/blog/index.php) - he's even having a shoe designed with the phrase "For Pete's Sake" to support him. That's pretty cool.

There is a blog post on there that Schilling called and talked to Pete. It's really cute.
http://peterdespain.com/blog/?p=14

January 2007 196.jpg

Wow! Thanks to our friends, the Close’s, Pete was introduced to Curt Schilling. Mr. Schilling made several calls during the week on his way to spring training to check on Pete. In the picture he’s giving Pete a pep talk on his last day of chemo therapy. He wants Pete to call him with an update after every chemo session. Being a pitcher, Pete has always been a Curt Schilling fan. He admires his mental and physical toughness…and the way he plays the game. Pete admitted to being a little nervous on the call…all we heard was “awesome…wow…okay…really” in response to Mr. Schilling’s offer to meet him for a game. Looks like Pete may be wearing the Red and Blue of the Red Sox!


Schilling even left him a comment

  1. Curt Schilling Says:

    PETE! My man! Curt Schilling here! I haven’t heard from you in a few weeks and wanted to stop by and say hello. The Close family sent me the link to your site, pretty awesome! You have my number buddy, gimme a ring when you get some free time!
    God Bless
    Curt

See stuff like this makes his blog worth it and a positive thing in my book. I'll just continue to "gloss over" when needed.

OK, that's it for now. Happy to be back, hope to hear from you guys!

1 comment:

KAYLEE said...

Glad to see you back.tek will be fine this year.I like the fact that paps is closing:)


-kaylee